Monday, December 17, 2012

Current Events...

I posted this to Facebook, and then realized, not all of my readers know me in real life and are on my Facebook page. I'm somewhat political, more so around women's rights, but definitively so around mental health care. A change is needed, and while gun reform is something that is needed as well, it feels...well...like a band-aid. Good to stop the bleeding, but not the cause of the injury. My heart bleeds for the families. It terrifies me to think I could bring my child to school and home from the morgue in the same day.

It terrifies me that shootings happen in schools far too often, but they are in poor, and usually non-white neighborhoods. It breaks my heart that mass genocide happens daily in other countries, as well. There is heartbreak and tragedy everywhere. Does that limit my hurt for the families in Connecticut? Of course not, it's a reminder than we live in a cruel world and that more love and compassion are needed.

We don't just a better band-aid, but a better way to prevent the injury itself.  Do I have the answers? No, but I have enough compassion to say something, to hold the ones I love and to not turn my back on those in need, near and far. To you, dear reader, may you go into the world, help who you are able, and hopefully leave your little corner of it a little better than when you came to it.

The post:

I'm probably going to piss someone off with the post that follows. If that's you, I apologize in advance for how you view my thoughts. This is my stance, and you're welcome to take it or leave it.
1. While I appreciate seeing the faces of the children who died in CT, real change doesn't start with an empty action. We can remember tragedy in our heads and hearts, but taking real action requires more than posting a picture. CHANGE to the status of mental health care in America will guarantee less crimes like this. Supporting parents of severely mentally ill children and adults will help ensure that there is enough energy to go around and that all people get what they need to survive. Call your local government official. Vote for money to be place where it needs to be placed: Social Service.
2. For those of you who have this to say about why the tragedy happened-"This is what happens when you don't let God in", or "God doesn't go where he isn't welcomed" Imagine me pinching my nose and squinting my eyes. My last understanding is that God is all loving, and supportive. That feels like a dick-move and a crap agenda. Again, my two cents on this. My gut says to say "Shut Up", but that's your belief, so I'll let it go.
3. Gun ownership. Now, most people don't know, I am a gun owner. I believe in the right to ownership, but I believe in people having reasonable access, and a boat load of training. I also believe that if you own guns, you better damn well ensure that they don't fall into the wrong hands. Lock it up, protect the key. Use common sense. As far as whether more guns in school would have prevented this: Please see issue #1. 

Cheers
Raina

No comments:

Post a Comment